Whole Foods Faces Boycott

First of all I need to let my readers know that I think Whole Foods is a quality place to shop and I support most of there initiatives even if they sometimes cost me a few more dollars. Talk of a boycott erupted last week when some comments about health care were reported in the Wall Street Journal from Whole Foods C.E.O. John Mackey.

Here is an excerpt from the article: "While we clearly need health-care reform, the last thing our country needs is a massive new health-care entitlement that will create hundreds of billions of dollars of new unfunded deficits and move us much closer to a government takeover of our health-care system. Instead, we should be trying to achieve reforms by moving in the opposite direction—toward less government control and more individual empowerment," Mackey wrote.

The fact that so many people are up in arms about this is frightening, because we continue to see so many willing to abdicate self control over to the government. John Mackey you are my kind of guy. Keep up the good work.

Comments

Couves said…
I agree with you – I think Mackey’s libertarian take on health care is spot on. But even if you disagree with him, this boycott is wrong. I understand and respect boycotts that are motivated by poor business practices. But boycotting someone’s business based solely on their political beliefs is a truly repugnant practice in a free society. I’m sure many of these same boycotters were cheering Mackey on when he spoke out against the Iraq War, the War on Drugs or the Bush Administration. Sadly, no dissent is tolerated by some partisans out there.

Popular posts from this blog

Fish Yields - or - How Much Does This Really Cost Me?

Flounder and Sole: or A Fish By Any Other Name Would Still Taste as Sweet.

Wild Edibles Seafood Update