I am often asked about fake scallops by sales people and chefs. Here is a very brief summary of some general definitions.
- Dry- untreated product that has been removed from the shell, that is all.
- Wet - processed in a tri-sodium phosphate solution, also called dipped.
- Frozen - of varied quality see above.
- Sea - ocean harvested scallops sizes range from under 6 to 40 per lb.
- Bay - harvest locations vary and determine flavor, northern products are preferred.
- Scallop product - this is analogous to "Krab" aka surami, and is made from scallop pieces glued together with bovine hemoglobin, yum.