A well thought out plan to farm native species fish in open ocean pens in United States waters could be a solution to more than one problem facing us today. Or it could be the worst idea to come since we allowed untreated waste to be dumped into the water from heavy manufacturing.
- Reduces the need to consume wild caught food fish.
- Creates much needed employment in coastal communities.
- Promotes innovation and technology.
- Reduces dependency on imported aquaculture.
- Waste from fish farming impacts local ecology.
- Greater demand on wild forage fish as food for aquaculture fish.
- Disease and escapement jeopardize wild stock.
- Creates confusion in the market with identical wild and farmed fish species.
Study fish-farming plan carefully