Matthew Hovey a Brief Bio


I grew up in Elyria outside Cleveland, Oh. Seafood experience was the Friday fish fry of perch and walleye. Many caught by my uncles and me.

I attended Kent State I settled in Tampa, Fl. While there I worked in restaurants and kitchens including; The Tampa Convention Center (I helped feed 4000 Mary Kay ladies), Cafe Creole (long time Tampa favorite), a retirement community, and Executive Chef at the University of South Florida.

My favorite memories of Florida are at a restaurant called Native Seafood.

There I often went to the docks to pick up fish. I maintain relationships with the same guys that have survived. We grew fresh herbs in a garden alongside the occasional papaya, banana trees, and a stalwart kefir lime tree. After 10 years we reluctantly shuttered the restaurant and I enjoyed a brief stint as a full time fisherman (recreational) and part time beach bum.

I moved to New York City to pursue my dream of filleting fish. My first gig was in Coney Island in charge of the kitchen at Keyspan Park as Executive chef of the Brooklyn Cyclones. Close to the water but not much fish.

Since 2002 I work for a major NY seafood distributor. I have been a retail manager, the executive chef, project coordinator for retail build outs, in house publisher, wholesale sales, and purchasing. My business card says Buyer / Account Executive, who knows what is next.

I reside in Rego Park, Queens with my wife Ewa, her mother, our six month old son Adam and Arki the best fed dog in the world. I try to fish when I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish Yields - or - How Much Does This Really Cost Me?

Flounder and Sole: or A Fish By Any Other Name Would Still Taste as Sweet.

Wild Edibles Seafood Update