"Bottomfeeder" Preview

I have been reading an interesting book by Taras Grescoe who is the author of “Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood.” For those of you who have read "The Omnivores Dilemma" by Micheal Pollan, and liked it, than this is a book I think you will enjoy. Grescoe's style is very readable and full of useful information. Whether you are an avid proponent of sustainable seafood, or a fan of the McDonalds Fillet O' Fish you will benefit from this good read. I was going to actually wait until I finished the entire book before I blogged about it here, but Grescoe wrote an op-ed piece in Monday's New York Times. The piece suggested that maybe we should just take a pass on salmon altogether, wild or farmed. Personally I will continue to limit my farmed salmon to fish from farms like Loch Duart, and my wild salmon to Alaskan fisheries. Like Grescoe I will not be having any Copper River fish this year as the cost is prohibitive, even at wholesale prices. I will be looking forward to the more plentiful coho runs, and this year I might even try to come up with a flavorful recipe for chum salmon. I wonder if I call it silverbright, will it taste better?

Comments

Hodad said…
just saw this, then with such eloquent detail on your part,
I must read it,
por supuesto, bien chevere

Viva El Frente/Verde{.org}
Anonymous said…
fresh sockeye from Kodiak, Cook Inlet and Bristol Bay should be on the market soon. Kodiak is already fishing but catches have been poor. Cold spring = late run. Look for prices to drop more if the bay run comes in huge as expected.

silverbrite does sound better than DOG salmon...

Popular posts from this blog

Fish Yields - or - How Much Does This Really Cost Me?

Flounder and Sole: or A Fish By Any Other Name Would Still Taste as Sweet.

Wild Edibles Seafood Update